RE: * She Croaked again *

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: * She Croaked again *
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:26:58 -0800
> OK - since the connections for the starter seem fine, and the battery is
> fully charged, I guess I might need a rebuilt starter.  As I have the TR4
> gearbox with OD does this mean I have the older starter (I'm
> TS269084L)

Somehow, I think there's an extra digit in that number.

> per original or a newer one because of the gearbox?  Hmm...

Impossible to tell from that information, the TR4 gearbox will work with
either starter.  Makes a lot more sense to look at the starter, the
difference is obvious.  The later starter only sticks out of the engine
about 7" and is one straight housing (except for the flange and end plate).
The earlier starter is about 9.5" long, and has a necked-down portion near
the engine.

I'd also double-check the solenoid and cables before changing the starter.
One way to do this is to wire a test lamp directly at the end of the
starter, from the terminal to a housing bolt (clean off paint if necessary).
Watch the lamp while you try to crank the engine ... if the problem is
really the starter then the lamp should glow fairly brightly.  If it doesn't
light at all, the problem is electrical and outside of the starter.

Randall