RE: drive shaft vibrations and ujoints TR250 TR6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: drive shaft vibrations and ujoints TR250 TR6
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:25:07 -0800
Jim Muller wrote :

> but I
> thought the point of lining up the flanges between the two ends of a
> double-u-jointed shaft wasn't for balance.  Rather, it was because a
> classic u-joint (i.e. the non-CV type) doesn't produce a constant
> rate of turn on the driven side (i.e. w.r.t. the driving side) if the
> angle wasn't absolutely straight.

Certainly phasing is important, for the reason you outlined, Jim.

But, I don't see any reason a flange couldn't be out of balance enough to
make a difference if it was turned 180 degrees, especially if you have it on
a balancing machine.  I tend to doubt that Triumph balanced them that
accurately, but it's certainly possible.

Randall