RE: drive shaft vibrations and ujoints TR250 TR6

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: drive shaft vibrations and ujoints TR250 TR6
From: "Triumph" <triumph@yankeespitfire.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:52:32 -0500 with any abuse report
yes, one of my manuals (spitfire 1500) mentions 'chalking' them before
disassembling to facilitate reassembly. I unfortunately read that AFTER
changing the u-joints... The joints made slight clicking noises for a couple
of days, I wasn't thinking of what it meant when it quit making the
clicking. The edges of the flanges were chipped off by then. There was also
a lopsided sort of vibration on one of the axle-shafts and a heavier
thumping sort of vibration on the main (prop) shaft. The vibrations went
away once I read about having to ensure the correct alignment and
reassembled them correctly.

"Any drive you don't return from on a towtruck was a good one"
Jon
1977 (mostly) Spitfire 1500 'Ol Yeller
FM 66043U
Nass #104 VTR #14767