Re: List topics and such

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: List topics and such
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:30:39 -0700
> You gave us a lot of references but I'm not gonna spend a lot of time
> checking all of them out.  I checked one or two, didn't see any
> thing too terrible!!!

For those who didn't bother, or didn't see what I was talking about, I'll
explain.  The bad examples were messages where the person who replied wrote
what they wrote, then underneath that was the *complete* text of the original
message.  Reading the answer first and then the question may be common
practice for those who lay around the house and watch a lot of Jeopardy,
I guess, but seems quite illogical in email.

The good examples were ones where the person who replied quoted *only the
relevent context* in a manner making it obvious it was a quote, and *then*
wrote their reply.  Easier to follow and wasting fewer bits by not sending out
yet again stuff that doesn't need to be sent out.  So smaller messages, faster
performance on the server, faster indexing and searching for the archives,
less disk space consumed, less bandwidth wasted and less time that the
overworked and way behind list manager for all the Team.Net lists has to spend
removing folks whose mailboxes have overflowed because of folks who won't,
for some reason, learn to edit their replies.

mjb.