Fw: 78 TR7 Bad Fuel Piump?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: 78 TR7 Bad Fuel Piump?
From: "Richard Sheppard" <sheppjr@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:09:41 -0600
Listers,

I was out driving my 78 TR7 last night and had driven about 5 miles when all
of a sudden the car started sputtering and acting like it was running out of
gas.  I have 3/4 of tank so I know that lack of gas is not the issue.  I
pushed in the clutch and the car idled properly.  I then was able to drive the
car normally for about 30 seconds and then the  problem reappeared.  This
phenomenon occurred all the way home.  The car starts and idles fine but
doesn't want to run at speed.   I let the car set a few minutes as I was
trying to diagnose the problem and drove it again but the same thing happened
again, 5 miles down the road and symptoms of fuel starvation reappeared. My
first guess is a faulty fuel pump however, I would appreciate any other
diagnosis that anyone on the list can provide.

Thanks for your help,

Richard