TR-3 spring difficulty

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3 spring difficulty
From: Chad Jester <triumph74tr6@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:40:04 -0800 (PST)
List,

My friend Rolf is having some problems with his TR3 rear springs.   Can any of
you offer any "been there, done that" advice?

Thanks,

Chad

I finally got started changing out the axle on my blue TR-3 to the correct
version, which won't allow the wheels to rub the fender's whenever a bump
is encountered. With the axle removed I discovered that the rear springs
currently on the car are not matched (extra leaf in the driver's
side.) Worse, the right side has a broken clamp and possibly a damaged
leaf.

I have replacement springs, but I am having difficulty in pulling the
fulcrum bolt at the front of the spring. Supposedly one can thread in a
5/16-24 bolt into the head of this bolt and (to quote) "use a lever" to
extract the bolt. Easier said than done!

Do any of you have or know of a tool for this?

The only obvious alternative is to lift the body enough that the spring can
clear the rocker panel, allowing the spring to come off with the fulcrum
pin without removal. Not too happy a thought.

Regards from Rolf