RE: Thrust Washers

To: "'Larry Plott'" <lplott@triad.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thrust Washers
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:01:28 -0800
Hi Larry,

I had a similar problem on my TR4A rebuild in that, using standard
thrust washers (not oversized), I was only able to achieve .003".  I
must have messed around with it for several hours or so trying to tap
the crank this way and that.  My final resolution was setting it up so
that I had the same clearance on both sides of the thrust washers and
main bearing cap, and tightened it down there.  My reasoning was that,
if the tolerance was too tight, then the thrust washers would wear a
little, and it would basically set itself up (since the crank can move
back and forth as you engage and disengage the drivetrain).  Sounds like
you're basically in the same boat - judging from the problems that my
father had with his TR6 engine (thrust washers in the pan, engine block
destroyed), I would go with a little tighter instead of a little looser.
Hopefully others will respond with more info than I can provide.

Hope it helps,

Jeff