Re: ac

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ac
From: Sam Gentry <sam@spit6.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:51:03 -0400
Actually, the best replacement for R12 is R12.  It is still readily
available and it is not very hard to get certified to buy and handle it.  A
couple of years ago my son and I both got certified so that we could work
on his RX7.  We did that job and since that time I have done several others
for my dad and other folks.  The price of R12 rises ever year (by law), but
it is still available.  My favorite source is ebay.  If you are not in a
hurry you can still get it for a good price.  At least good compared to a
couple of hundred to do the conversion.

You still need a vacuum pump and if there is any R12 still in the system
you need a recovery system (please don't just vent it to the atmosphere),
but you need all this if you do a conversion anyway.

By the way, for some strange reason, it is NOT illegal to keep filling an
R12 system that has a leak, even if you know that it is leaking.   This is
always one of the questions on the test.

Sam