RE: check out this honda site. really.

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: check out this honda site. really.
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:07:27 -0600
I spent the weekend out at the local road course watching the vintage
and modern road racers going at it. One thing a friend of mine and I
noticed was that the fastest GT3 Civics were turning in about a 0.20
seconds faster lap times than a very well driven Ford GT40 (1:32 lap
times). There was a Chevron B19(1:29/lap) and a Lola(1:27/lap) that both
had 1970's state of the art Cosworth 2.0L 4 cylinder engines that put
out 250 hp. Honda/Acura have cars you can buy off the show room floor
with that put out that kind of horse power from a 4 cyl.
 For some more perspective a GT1 C5 Corvette 1:28 lap times, a friend of
mine with a 65 E-type that makes 350 rear wheel horse power turns 1:35-6
lap times, Sunbeam Tigers run about the same as the E-type. MGBs, MGAs,
and TR3s run about 1:41-3 lap times. But there was a very well sorted
mid 60s Mini( GT-4) running mid pack with the the GT3 Civics.
I guess my point in all this is a Honda S2000 has an equivalent engine
in it to the Cosworth motor used in the Chevron B19, and Lola (540?) I
guess it takes 25-30 years for F-1 level technology to make it all the
way down to your Honda show room.
By the way how much hp did the Honda S600 make in the 1960s less than a
Herald I'd bet?
Oh and for the record the WCMA has a different class structure than the
SCCA.

Doug Hamilton