RE: Proper Overdrive engagement

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Proper Overdrive engagement
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:37:37 -0700
> I'd like to know whether there is a preferred method for
> engagement of OD in a
> TR4, or any other car with similar OD setup.  I've always just flipped the
> control lever on the column to engage.  Sometimes it results in
> something of a
> jolt.  Well recently, and by accident, I engaged the clutch
> slightly, engaged
> OD and then released the clutch.  Now I did not depress the pedal
> as much as
> if I was shifting, but just enough to disengage trans from engine for a
> moment.  The result was a very smooth shift into OD.  Of course
> that may be my
> answer.  Even though this might result in a very small amount of
> wear to the
> clutch, am I getting any benefit by not jolting the trans into OD?

Paul, it certainly isn't necessary ... but I like to declutch for a 'casual'
shift into OD myself.  As you've noted, the A-type OD fitted to the solid
axle cars does tend to make a bit of a jolt, especially under light
throttle.  The later A-types were actually modified by the factory to make
the engagement more gradual and transmit less shock load to the IRS.

Under heavy throttle, the jolt is much less pronounced, so I just flip the
switch and keep on truckin.

Randall