RE: loaded questions

To: "James Hoffman" <ericerichoffman@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: loaded questions
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:52:54 -0700
> If I start with a show (or nearly so) quality car and I am
> mechanically useless what should I budget to run a Triumph maybe
> 5000 miles per year.

That's an impossible question, IMO.  Many "show" quality cars are mechanical
nightmares, while other rather tatty looking examples are much more
mechanically sound.  You should also consider whether you plan on remaining
"mechanically useless".  These cars were designed to be owner-serviced, you
don't have to be mechanically inclined to do most of the common operations.
Running to a mechanic every time a bulb burns out is going to be expensive
... the TR3 for example is supposed to have a chassis lube every 1000 miles.
And following the maintenance schedule religiously (including all the odd
places that have to be lubricated), plus a few more additions (like changing
brake fluid every 2 years if you don't use DOT 5 silicone), is the key to
keeping them reliable, IMO.

> What are some pros and cons of the TR3 vs TR4.

Since the drivetrain is pretty much the same, it's really a question of
which body style you like better.  The TR4 is more refined, does a better
job of keeping you warm in cold weather and dry in the rain.  But the TR3 is
more fun !  (Ok, I'm prejudiced <g>)

> Can these cars be made to not leak and be
> reliable electronically.

Yes, it can be done.  But, there are clearly a lot of mechanics around that
don't know how ... and it can be an expensive proposition.  One of the
reasons so many of them leak oil is that the engines still run quite well in
advanced states of wear, and the owners decide that a few drips are easier
to live with than an engine rebuild.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly