Re: Laycock P. Plate Rebuilding

To: dmallin@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Laycock P. Plate Rebuilding
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:07:48 -0700 FILETIME=[3D0A3E70:01C36044]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Don,

snip
>I had a bad experience with a rebuilt clutch in an '87 Taurus Wagon and
>swore I would never use a rebuilt clutch again,

Cool, a Taurus Wagon with a 5 speed? I'l love to see that....

snip
>I would be very very interested in hearing some feedback on the reliability
>of rebuilt pressure plates.

Depends on the rebuilder.

snip

>Again, I would be very interested in some comments on using rebuilt
>pressure plates (with NEW clutch disk).
>
>Don Malling

One resource that most people don't know about is the local heavy-duty
truck/forklift shop.
I had a guy in San Jose, CA. that could rebuild or order any part you
wanted. He relined and rebuilt clutches and brakes for my Triumphs, race and
other street cars. He always had the best price, and would suggest friction
material based on application, fast service too. Any decent sized town
should have a shop like this. Check your yellow pages for automotive parts
rebuilders (heavy trucks or forklifts). I may have just happened to get
lucky that Robin was into race cars, and knew what I was talking about, but
these components should be familiar to an experienced friction reline shop.
Ask around at the heavy duty truck supply type places for leads.

Good Luck,

John Matthews