ignition light glowing

To: "INTERNET:lstein6@earthlink.net" <lstein6@earthlink.net>
Subject: ignition light glowing
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:23:37 -0400
Cc: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h74EPN24016775
Message text written by INTERNET:lstein6@earthlink.net
>80 tr7, now the ignition light is glowing.  what causes it to glow ?  it
is
not on bright, just glowing and doesn't go off as rpms go up.  the voltage
is 13.6 headlights on to 14.3 volts with no accessories on.  the engine
running with these measurements.  12.6v with engine off.  does that sound
right ?  thanks, larry
<

The voltage readings are about right, maybe a bit low with the headlights
on.  The lamp glowing tells you there is something wrong with the
alterantor and that something is the rectifier assembly.  One or more
diodes has failed.  The alternator will continue to function in a reduced
capacity for quite some time and since full capacity from the alternator is
required infrequently at best you may never notice.

You didn't mention what alternator you have but it is likely that you have
the 25ACR with is a 60 amp unit.  The diode assembly for that (0-625) is
$34.95 from Vicky-Brit (and the others, I presume).  To change it you will
need wrenches and a 100/140 watt soldering gun and about an hour (depending
on how difficult it is to R/R (remove/replace) the alternator.

I just replaced the diode assembly in my TR8 (one hour including R/R) and
the 25ACR I plan to install in the TR6.

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3