RE: Addco Sway Bar

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: RE: Addco Sway Bar
From: "D&B Lambert" <blambert@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:07:53 -0700
Phil,

Thanks for the comments.  I looked at the picture of the sway bar on Brain
Sanborn's web site.  It appears that the TR4 frame/bumper brackets are
similar to the TR3A's but without quite as much angle, so the center
bushings attach a tad farther away from the bend in the bar than on the
TR-3A.  (I notice Moss lists different part numbers for the brackets for
each car.)  I also received some much appreciated pictures from another
lister- Thanks Bob.

> The instructions leave a little to be desired...

Lucky you.  The TR4 instructions left a lot to be desired.

As it turns out, the ones in my kit <are> the TR4 instructions, and yes,
they are the weak pert of an otherwise reasonably nice product.

There is no reason for a sway bar to need to slide laterally.  The only
thing a sway bar needs to do in the central bushings is rotate.  With a hard
bushing, this is actual rotation of the bar within the bushing.  With a
rubber bushing, the rubber adheres to sway bar and bracket: The rotary
motion is accomplished through distortion of the bushing. Let me know if I
misunderstood the question.

No, you understood the question perfectly; I misunderstood the theory.  I
see now that lateral motion is nonexistent, or very very slight.  I think
I've got things squared away now, and the bar is almost installed.

Thank you to all that responded.  My education continues!

Dennis
'61 TR3A