Re: Addco Sway Bar

To: "D&B Lambert" <blambert@socal.rr.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Addco Sway Bar
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:16:19 -0500
From: "D&B Lambert" <blambert@socal.rr.com>
To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 1:30 PM
Subject: Addco Sway Bar

> I am in the process of installing an Addco front sway bar on my '61 TR3-A.
> Does anyone have some digital pictures of a completed installation they
> could send me?

I only have the excellent ones Brian Sanborn sent me of the TR4.

> The instructions leave a little to be desired,

Lucky you.  The TR4 instructions left a lot to be desired.

> These
> are the ones that attach the bar to the bumper/frame brackets.  Mine seem
> want to attach right about where the bar bends 90 degrees, and I thought
the
> bar has to have some "slide" room.  If the bushings are indeed on, or very
> near the sway bar bend, this would seem to limit the sliding action
> capability.

There is no reason for a sway bar to need to slide laterally.  The only
thing a sway bar needs to do in the central bushings is rotate.  With a hard
bushing, this is actual rotation of the bar within the bushing.  With a
rubber bushing, the rubber adheres to sway bar and bracket: The rotary
motion is accomplished through distortion of the bushing.

Let me know if I misunderstood the question.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com