battery charging--need to disconnect?

To: Steve Myers <mountainunicycle@yahoo.com>
Subject: battery charging--need to disconnect?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:29:54 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h6ACXUSl005214
Message text written by Steve Myers
>I want to charge the battery on my 71 TR6 with a 2amp/6amp battery
charger I have. From the charger directions, it sounds like you're
supposed to disconnect both the + and - leads from the battery before
hooking the charger up to the battery and charging it.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with using a standard auto
battery charger *without* disconnecting the battery leads before
charging it? That is, can I just pop the hood, clamp the charger on,
and leave it overnight?
<

Steve, I suspect this is the result of some over-zealest legal council.  It
is not uncommon to generate electrical sparks when connecting a battery
charger and these sparks generate voltage transients which can damage
sensitive electronics in the car (such as the diodes in the alternator) and
disconnecting the cables from the battery will isolate the voltage
transients to the battery and protect the rest of the car's electrical
system.

Disconnecting is the safest thing but rather inconvenient.  I would just
connect it but right at the battery terminals and be sure to plug the
charger in only after it is connected to the battery.

Dave Massey
71 TR6