battery charging--need to disconnect?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: battery charging--need to disconnect?
From: Steve Myers <mountainunicycle@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 20:38:29 -0700
I want to charge the battery on my 71 TR6 with a 2amp/6amp battery
charger I have. From the charger directions, it sounds like you're
supposed to disconnect both the + and - leads from the battery before
hooking the charger up to the battery and charging it.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with using a standard auto
battery charger *without* disconnecting the battery leads before
charging it? That is, can I just pop the hood, clamp the charger on,
and leave it overnight?

Also, if you have any input about what amperage to charge with
overnight that'd be great.

I can't think of anything that could go wrong if I leave the battery
leads connected...

Thanks!
Steve