RE: California Black Plates

To: "'Paul Willoughby's Home'" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>, "Triumphs List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: California Black Plates
From: john & patricia donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 08:22:58 -0700 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h68FNG1p003331
Paul,
Last year I went through the "new" licensing of my TR and the DMV explained to
me that it was OK to register the car with the black plates if you have proof
that these were the original plates that came with the car. Their intent is to
not "issue" any more black plates, but at the same time not to take black
plates out circulation for no real reason. As they put it, "Don't expect to go
to a junk yard, find a set of black plates and have them put on your car. If
the car already has them, no problem."

My car was non-registered since 1985, and it was not in the DMV database, thus
a "new" car. I tried registering through AAA, but they wanted to give me white
plates. So I went to the DMV. Now, since I had the 1985 registration and the
black plates, they allowed me to register the car from scratch. We even changed
the VIN number to make it more closely match the actual CTC #. The DMV was
pretty cool about it

My .02.

John in San Diego
'67 TR4A IRS