Reducing exhaust sound

To: "Triumph List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reducing exhaust sound
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:29:28 -0400
I love the sound of my Falson SS sport system, however the amplitude is a
bit much. I would like to just tone them down a little for quieter highway
driving. Two options seem available:

1 - inline pipe baffles from JCWhitney. (I cannot seem to find the part in
their on-line list, but I remember seeing them before. Does anybody have a
link?)

2 - Have muffler shop insert glasspacks before main mufflers.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to reduce the performance
of the car enormously either.

Another point is that I have a header feeding the pipes. I seem to hear some
higher pitched exhaust noise (almost a pinking sound, but not that high) It
sounds like escaping exhaust, but I have checked and can find no leaks. I am
wondering if this is just noise through the walls of the header. Does the
ceramic coating like Jet-Hot etc. quiet this sound, or is there some other
approach I should take (not re-installing the iron manifold)?

Advice anybody in TR land?

Mark Hooper
72 TR6