Re: Sand Blast Media question - Long

To: Dave Connitt <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Sand Blast Media question - Long
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:34:15 -0600
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave Connitt wrote:

> Hi List,
> There I was Saturday afternoon. Planning on doing some sand blasting on the
> front valence of my TR4A. Due to the humidity around here in Cincinnati, the
> glass media I was using would hardly go through the funnel into the blaster!
> Does anybody have any ideas on drying out the media and keeping it that way
> until I use it?
> My house in air conditioned so I think that once I get the stuff relatively
> dry, I can start storing it in the basement which is also air conditioned.
> Since this air is relatively de-humidified, it should stay dry for awhile.
> This gets me to my real question. How do I get the stuff dry enough to work
> with? I thought about buying a cheap cookie sheet and baking it one tray at
> a time in the oven on the lowest setting for 15-20 minutes per tray. I would
> rather find some way that would not involve our kitchen for obvious reasons.
> I have 3 moisture separators between the air compressor and the blaster so I
> think that is not going to be a problem.
> I am so close on this thing I hate to run into this now but...

Here's one thought you may want to keep in mind--even if you get it quite dry,
you still have to deal with the compressor sucking in water vapor and
depositing it in the tank. If the outside air is
very humid, no amount of drying the media will do any good. If it is very
humid, I would suggest draining the tank before beginning, and if necessary,
put two water traps in series on the compressor
outlet line, preferably of the molecular sieve variety.

At the garage I worked at in Florida, the compressors were outside under a shed
roof, feeding four 250-gal. tanks. We needed lots of volume because our
in-floor lifts ran on air, not hydraulics. It
was the swamper's job to drain the tanks every couple of days, and no one
thought to do it when he went on vacation. After four days, all the lifts
started getting _very_ slow. Went out to check the
compressors, whacked on the tanks to see if they had water in them, and all
four were about 90% full of water.... If it's humid, there's going to be plenty
of water in the tanks, perhaps enough so
that it's overwhelming the water trap you have on there now.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.