Re: Sand Blast Media question - Long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sand Blast Media question - Long
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:52:11 +0200
 Dave Connitt wrote:

>> I have 3 moisture
> > separators between the air compressor and the blaster so I think
> > that is not going to be a problem.

 Michael D. Porter replied :

> Here's one thought you may want to keep in mind--even if you get it
> quite dry, you still have to deal with the compressor sucking in water
> vapor and depositing it in the tank. If the outside air is very humid,
> no amount of drying the media will do any good.

Dave ,
I don't know anything about drying the media but I do know a little about
compressors and compressed air .
Compressed air is 100% saturated when it exits the compressor and water
vapor will condense all along the air lines as it cools .This is where a
separator
will eliminate the droplets but not the remaining vapor , which will continue
condensing as the temperature falls right to the blaster nozzle which is
usually
the coldest point (below ambient temp) due to the sudden expansion of the
compressed air .
The normal $$$ solution is to use a refrigerated dryer with separator which
cools the compressed air to about 2 degrees C .
When I need dry air ( not very often ) I coil up 2 or 3 metres of airline into
bucket containing a mixture of water and ice and fit a separator after the
"cooler" . This system works well until the ice melts !!

HTH

Mike