Re: Connecting rods TR6

To: Keith <biota@bigpond.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Connecting rods TR6
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 12:29:21 -0400
Keith writes...

> 1/ I'd like to know if there are any reliability problems with the
> rods themselves?

No, they are stout pieces.  There are two design variations, the earlier
rods are a solid piece while later rods have a 5/16" (might be 3/8") hole
drilled offset of the center of the rod at the big end to keep one of the
rod bolts from bottoming out.  This hole would allow you to measure bolt
stretch for a more accurate idea of rod bolt torque, but you would have to
get the tip of the stretch gauge to read horizontally... I don't know if any
are available to read a bolt like that though.  Added benefit is that, that
those later rods are now missing about 1.6cm^3 of material, so they are a
bit lighter.  How does the hole effect longevity of the rod in a high
performance motor, no idea...

> 2/ Same with the bearings?

Vandervell bearings are of very good quality and you will pay a lot to buy
them, aptfast.com should have them in stock.  IMHO rod bearing problems in
the TR6 motor are a result of the poor geometry Triumph choose when they
decided to stroke the motor, not as a result of poor bearing material or
quality.  The angularity of the rod with the crank at 90 degrees is rather
extreme and almost unheard of with modern cars.  It was just a cheap way for
Triumph to get an extra 500cc.  In the GT6 motors I have seen with high
miles, the rod bearings have always faired better.  GT6 motors have the same
rods and big end bearings, but the crank has a shorter stroke.

> 3' What's the average life before these bit need rejuvenation?

Can't answer that, I took two sets of rods to my local machine shop around
Christmas time to have magnafluxed and checked for straightness.  All were
fine.  No idea of the mileage or how the rods were treated in their previous
engines.

> 4/ What hp does the standard TR6 develop?

104bhp for the US market, 145bhp for the early PI cars available in the UK
and also Australia.

> 5/ What weight is a TR6 piston with gudgeon and rings?

Wish I knew that... but I do not.

Kai