Re: Connecting rods TR6

To: biota@bigpond.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Connecting rods TR6
From: "scotts junk" <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:34:44 -0600 FILETIME=[89DD6AD0:01C32C49]
hi Kieth

1. the TR6 conrod is pretty robust; seldom hear of any problems witht them,
even in racing applications. The standard straightness tests & magnafluxing
should be done. According to Kas Kastner (Triumph racing guru (approaching
god status)), the rod can be lightened a fair bit - see the Triumph
Competition Preparation Manual for TR6 or GT6 (on eBay regularly).

2. bearings - no problems as long as oil peressure is good - go with
Vandervell brand bearings; more expensive but worth it.

3. Depends on driving style, servicing, yearly use, ... I'd guess 40-50K
miles between teardowns as an average.

4. Euro spec TR6 engines ran 150 bhp, U.S. (i.e. smog regulated) were in the
105 to 115 range, racing mills run 200+.

5. I get 400 grams (14.1 oz.) on my not particularly accurate scale for
piston and pin with circlips but without rings.

What RPM does the Duck run to? May want to check the weight of the big ends
for both TR and Ducatti rod/bearing units to see that they are in the same
ball park for balance issues.

good luck
Scott