RE: Luggage Racks

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Luggage Racks
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 22:23:54 -0700
> What are the best ways to go on a luggage rack for the TR3A? What
> types are
> recommended, and what are the best sources for obtaining them?
>
> I'm reluctant to drill into the rear deck, and I really only want
> to have the
> rack on when travel requires the extra luggage carrying capacity.
> Otherwise I
> love the clean lines of the deck sans rack. What are my best
> options given those issues?

I believe TRF still sells the original-style luggage racks, that don't
require drilling the trunk/boot lid.  They come with special pins that
replace the pivot pins in the boot lid hinges, to form the front mount for
the rack; and the rear has some large rubber cups that rest on the painted
surface.  I bought mine for VTR 2000, I've used it exactly once since then
(VTR 2001).  Both times it worked quite well, carried a smallish suitcase
with aplomb.  The rubber cups did leave a slight mark in the paint, but I
believe Fred Thomas can offer polyurethane replacements that don't mark the
paint.  I'd also suggest replacing the boot hinges when you install it ... I
didn't, and one of the pins fell out on the road somewhere while the rack
wasn't installed to hold it in position.

It's not exactly easy to install and remove, but it's not too big a hassle
either.  I've been planning to revise the front mounts for a long time to
make them easier to deal with, but haven't done it yet.  I did add some
friction tape to the clips that hold the rear down, so they wouldn't scratch
the paint on the edge of the boot lid.

FWIW, ISTR the TRF catalog said the racks were SS, but the one I got was
chromed steel and had a note with it that the chrome had to be kept waxed to
prevent rust.

Randall