RE: 1975 TR6 ... Once was.

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1975 TR6 ... Once was.
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 14:28:35 -0700
>  After insuring the TR6 for the summer, My Dad took the car in to
> get all the
> fluids chaged, the steering greased up, and whatnot. Well, the
> people at the
> oil change place didnt tighten the oil filter cap enough, and as
> my dad was
> driving, all the oil came out, he quickly noticed, and put some
> oil in it, and
> lugged it back to the place. They apologized, filled it up, and
> he was on his
> way, however, damage had already been done. I took the car out
> for a spin, and
> was noticing some "klunking/tapping" sounds from the engine,
> which I presume
> was a bearing of some sort. As I was driving, the sound became
> increasingly
> worse, and all of a sudden, it gave way, and the engine made a
> massive sound
> (kind of like to rusty fans spinning at 8000 rpm hitting each other.) I
> immediatly jammed in the clutch, pulled over, and before I could turn the
> engine off, it died. I wasnt about to try to start it, because I know the
> damage is collosal. If anyone has some tips, pointers, or legal advice
> regarding the oil change company ;-)  Please let me know.

Find a reputable LBC repair shop, one that has successfully rebuilt TR6
engines.  Have the car flat-bedded to them, get a report in writing as to
the damage and the estimated repair costs.  Notify your insurance company.
Then write a nice, polite but firm letter to the head office of the oil
change place (with a copy to the local branch if it's a chain); explaining
what happened (include all the details you can, names, times, places) and
requesting that they pay the repair cost, including the flat bed and
inspection.

Does Canada have a small claims court ?

BTW, it sounds pretty bad.  Broken rod or broken piston, likely the crank is
ruined too.  If you're lucky, the block can be saved ...

Randall