Re: Ghosts in the Machine

Subject: Re: Ghosts in the Machine
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:19:24 +0100 h3SLN5io019674
From: Williams, Bill (Atlanta) <Bill.Williams@hp.com>

> I'm guessing it's the electrical switch versus the starter relay, or at
> least that's what I just ordered from TRF.

Hi Bill,
    In my experience (sample of one) this was a sticking starter solenoid. In
that case a friend was putting the finishing touches to his ground up rebuild
of a Herald Courier Van. He was doing the work in a garage extension which was
also just nearing completion. He was using the button on the solenoid to turn
the engine for setting the tappets when he realised that he'd left the van in
gear. It surged forward despite taking his hand off the button and nearly burnt
out the strater motor and solenoid before he could disconnect the battery. He
badly damaged the fresh paint on his bonnet and valance, scratched some NOS
chromework and partly demolished a new garage wall.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics