TR6 Stub Axle Removal

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Stub Axle Removal
From: "Jerry Greenberg" <jerrygreenberg@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:01:12 -0500
I'm trying to remove the front stub axle from my 1976 TR6 due to an
incident with the wheel bearings disintegrating and screwing up the
axle as well as the hub being fused to the axle. I finally got the hub
off the axle.

Haynes says to remove the nut at the inside of the axle and tap it out
using a piece of wood and a hammer. Right.

Bentley says to remove the vertical link and have the axle pressed
out. Sounds more reasonable, but the PO screwed up the bolts and tabs
holding the caliper mounting plate to the vertical link and I can't
get it off in order to remove the vertical link.

So, I'm back to tapping it out with a piece of wood and a hammer,
although I'm able to get at the end pretty good with a steel bar and
hammer, but the thing doesn't budge.

Does anyone have any suggestions on removing this thing, or should I
keep hitting it with a hammer?

Jerry Greenberg
1976 TR6
Houston