Re: Help with Spitfire 1500 Head Gasket!!!

To: "Staff, Les (CFRE)" <lstaff@globaltv.ca>
Subject: Re: Help with Spitfire 1500 Head Gasket!!!
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:46:12 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
"Staff, Les (CFRE)" wrote:

> I have rebuilt the engine and have put two head gaskets in it. Both have
> failed between the 1-2 cylinders. The machinist wants to plane to top of the
> block to eliminate or reduce the gasket-ring indents around the cylinders.
> Anyone else ever have this problem? If so, what's the fix?
>
> Les

Les,
One thing to know about Spitfire head gaskets.  You have to get them hot
and immediately retorque the head with the engine hot.  If you do this,
you will find that the torque settings are well below the
specifications.  By torqueing hot it will seal the gasket and you
shouldn't have any further problems (if there is nothing else wrong,
that is)!

Regards,
Joe Curry