TR 3 Timing Tensioner

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 3 Timing Tensioner
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@bu.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:40:37 -0400
We don't need no steenking tensioner.  When I owned a '58 TR 3, back in
1968, it made a kind of rattling sound all the time, but it got me back
and forth to college classes.  Then it started leaking oil seriously.  A
mechanic found a hole in the timing chain cover.  He was kind enough to
let me tear down the front of the car to the point where he could
replace the chain. Then I could put it all back together.  When we got
the cover off, there was the tensioner, in pieces in the bottom of the
cover.  The chain had become so loose that it rubbed the cover, wearing
a hole in it (I had that brazed shut before putting it back on).  Loose
as it was, it never jumped timing.

Ron L