RE: T/R 3 instruments

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: T/R 3 instruments
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:29:32 -0800
> According to the TRA judging guide page # IN20 item
> #  1- Around 1960,  the panel light switch was replaced with a
> rehostat. The
> knob markings altered to suit.

Except that Bill Piggott has documented a partial changeover as early as
TS43000, Feb 1959

> The center instrument cluster is as follows for L/H drive cars from top to
> bottom
> Vent Control
> W. Wiper Switch
> Panel Light Switch
> Head/Side Lamp Switch
> Ignition Switch

Practical hints for the maintenance of the Triumph T.R.3 :

2nd ed, still lists TR2 on the title page, Fig 1 shows push/pull instrument
panel light switch in top position on dash.  Schematic (Fig 30) modified for
self-parking wipers, shows switch in top position.

3rd ed, no longer lists TR2, Fig 1 shows same switch in same position. (Fig
30 missing from my copy)

4th ed, both Fig 1 & 30 show switch on top.  Schematic was changed to show
in-line fuse.

6th ed, both Fig 1 & 30 updated to show rheostat in center position.

So with that, plus the evidence I've seen on several actual cars, I remain
convinced that Bill P. is mistaken on this point.

> On Chip's question about windshield washers, the book only
> says==cars equipped
> with windscreen washers had a manually operated pump usually
> mounted between
> the cubbybox door and the center panel, the knob was black with white
> lettering

Robson's The Triumph TRs, A Collector's Guide, on page 30 is a photo of the
interior of a not-quite-completed LHD TR3A, presumably taken at the factory.
It shows the washer pump in exactly the same place it was on TS39781LO, on
the roughly triangular flat section between the lower left corner of the
cubby door and the right edge of the instrument panel.

Unfortunately, like all my other old photos in books, this photo has been
half-toned for printing, the knob legends are not readable even under a
glass.  But the screen washer knob looks identical to the one I found on
TS39781LO, it says "SCREEN WASHER" in a semi-circular arc over the top, then
"PUSH" in a straight horizontal line about 2/3 down the face of the knob.

Randall