RE: TR4 Gearbox Oil Change

Subject: RE: TR4 Gearbox Oil Change
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:08:42 -0800
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I use an Industrial size syringe that I bought from Sears in the
> 70's just for
> this purpose. I suck the oil out of the bottle and then inject it into the
> trans from underneath the car. Works great. I suppose you could
> find one of
> these tools at a good auto parts store like a NAPA store. Can't
> say that I've
> seen one for a long time however.

Most places (Kragen, Schucks, Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc.) will carry the
Sta-Lube pump, which IMO works quite well.  The pump screws into the bottle,
and has a long enough hose to snake under the car, with a fitting on the end
that fits into the filler hole.  Each stroke of the pump moves a specific
amount of oil, so it also measures the oil as you pump it in.  I just bought
a new one last year, as my old one finally bit the dust (after some 15
years), ISTR it was under $15.

Although it's designed to fit the Sta-Lube bottles (of course), I found that
by adjusting the length of the dip tube, I was able to use it with my
Valvoline bottles.  I use a golf tee to block the open end of the line, so
it doesn't accumulate dirt or drip oil between uses.

Randall