Water Damage

To: "Patrick Bitton" <pbitton@axess.com>
Subject: Water Damage
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:22:56 -0500
Cc: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h1K1S4Zs010747
Message text written by "Patrick Bitton"
>Today, I went into my garage, by fluke, and noticed that the a water pipe
burst and there was water everywhere. My car (TR-6) had the windows opened
and the interior was soaking wet. Seems like all the gauges have water
aswell, the radio, seats, carpet etc... The car was in storage and last
week
in Montreal, we had a deep freeze and my hot water pipes froze. My landlady
called a plumber to fix the problem and told me that since the basement and
garage are not heated...that causes a BIG problem.

Since my garage is not heated and the water will either stay or turn to
ice.
What can I do so that condensation does not settle in?

Please help me...I have spent the last 3 years restoring this car and
haven't even had one season to enjoy it.

Also, I had an overdrive and transmission on the floor. Are they doomed? Do
I have to get them rebuild?
<

Bad news indeed.  as far as the transmission and overdrive, you did not say
how deep the water got.  The transmission is more or less sealed so if the
water only got a few inches deep you should not have a problem.  Change the
oil anyway just to be safe.  If they were completely submerged but only
briefly, then an oil change and some rotary action on the shafts will
probably do nicely.

How deep is the water?  is there a drain?  does it flow out throught he
door?  or is there standing water (and if so how deep)?  Can it be pumped
out?

I would, at least, remove the seats and carpets and take them to a warm dry
place (in the house for example).  If you can get rid of the standing water
then a freeze may be the best thing.  The colder it is the slower rust
acts.

Good luck.

Dave