Re: Steering column impact clamp

To: darrellw@inetarena.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering column impact clamp
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:57:50 EST
In a message dated 2/17/2003 5:44:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
darrellw@inetarena.com writes:

> I'm getting ready to re-assemble the steering column on my TR4A (I believe
> this applies to any TR4-6).  The factory manual says "using the 1/8" UF
> Unbreako hexagon wrench", to tighten the setscrew as tight as possible
> without bending the wrench (so I guess that's tighten until it bends, then
> back of a little?).  Anyway, is there any reason to expect that an
> "Unbreako" Allen wrench is anything special?  Should I just tighten it as
> much as I can with my regular old Allen wrench?

On something as sophisticated as the "Impacto-Scopic" steering column, why
would you WANT to use anything less than a genuine "Unbrako" (PLEASE note
correct spelling, btw) hexagon wrench? OTOH, the Herald/Spitfire and
GT6/Vitesse 2 Litre Factory Manuals simply note the use of a "socket key" to
tighten that setscrew. :-)

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.