RE: Boring TR2/3 sleeves

To: Angelo Graham <a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Boring TR2/3 sleeves
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:32:07 -0800
> How best to remove the ridge?

The tool is called a ridge reamer.  HF has one for $26, and will ship
internationally :
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46869

Some auto parts stores will rent them to you even cheaper (I think Kragen
still does it for free).

> I would like to keep the liners in place,so using the liner hold-downs
> illustrated in the factory manual. Should I worry about the
> liners moving,
> or simply replace the figure 8 gaskets anyway?

TRs tend to accumulate crud around the bottom of the liners, especially
behind #4 cylinder.  I would definitely remove the liners and clean the
water jacket.  Removing them will likely ruin the fig 8 gaskets, I would
plan on replacing them anyway.  The fig 8 gaskets do play a part in sealing
the head gasket, and crush a bit when the head nuts are tightened the first
time.

While it's possible to install the pistons and rods without moving the
liners, I would definitely suggest using liner hold-downs.  I use two stacks
of 1/2" drive sockets, with a head nut on top.

Don't forget to check that the liners stand proud of the block by the
prescribed amount, on both sides.  I spent quite a lot of time fighting
blown head gaskets before I realized that mine aren't high enough on one
side.

Randall