TR4 Coolant bypass circuit.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Coolant bypass circuit.
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:50:37 -0800 (PST)
Hey guys.

Im sure you have seen me whine about my cold TR4 every time it gets below 20
degrees here in Northern, Virginia.

It occurred to me that I had made some changes to the cooling system years ago
when the car was only an occasional driver.  At that time I was more concerned
with overheating on hot summer days rather than driving daily in winter
weather.

So I popped off the rubber elbow hose and sure enough, there is the large
stainless steel bolt with a small hole drilled though its center, threaded into
the water pump . .  . . eh .. um . .. thingie  (manifold?)

It did its restricting job very well I suppose.  Coolant was just barely
burbling out of it until I unscrewed it (probably over an inch long) and then
the coolant quickly poured out.  (guess I should have drained  a little coolant
first)

I thought perhaps that freeing up this bypass circuit would allow more flow
through the heater core, and might make things warmer.

After two days driving back and forth to work (yes, it did snow slightly
yesterday) it doesnt feel any warmer.
More than that, the car seems to take forever to warm up now.

I suppose I should just cough up the money and buy a sleeved thermostat.

Anyone want to shed some light on how this bypass circuit interacts with the
heater circuit?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday