re: TR4 Coolant bypass circuit.

To: sdtilton@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR4 Coolant bypass circuit.
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:24:18 EST
Scott,

When your 'bypass port' was plugged with the bolt you inserted, your heater
piping became your motor's 'recirculation path'. That's why your heater
worked faster.  I am not sure it's healthy for your cylinder head to be
unevenly cooled this way - especially in really cold climate (probably
working a wrinkle in your head gasket!).
So, if you don't choose to buy the $36 sleaved thermostat I would put a
'restricting washer', with a 1/4" hole, into bypass hose, and simply cover up
the lower half or third of my radiator with cardboard. This is not as goofy
as it sounds. My original '63 Volvo still has the stock radiator 'window
shade' that can be pulled up and down in front of the radiator to block
air-flow on cold days. For today's version - you can look at any big rig
truck for 'louvered flaps' and 'zippered curtains' attached to their
radiators.

If you want to warm the inside of your car - a washer (versus proper sleaved
thermostat) and a sheet of cardboard (in front of lower half of radiator) -
would be effective and cheap!

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

>>I'm sure you have seen me whine about my cold TR4 every time it gets below
20
degrees here in Northern, Virginia.
Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday<<