TR4 cooling systems (secondary comments)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 cooling systems (secondary comments)
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:00:32 -0800 (PST)
While the cooling system is on my mind .. . I thought Id ask if anyone has
ever fitted a flex fan to a Triumph TR 3 / 4 engine?
I cant remember ever seeing one.

I can think of two problems with doing such a thing right off hand:

1  the normal fan is mounted with some rubber isolators around the bolts.  I
suppose this acts like a harmonic dampener to some degree.  Bolting up a rigid
flex fan would negate this dampening effect.  (Although I ran my engine for a
couple years with no fan on it, and it did fine.  It was balanced to one degree
or another after the rebuild though. So YMMV)

2  the is the issue of that huge central bolt / hand crank adapter.  I suppose
most flex fans dont have a giant hole in their center to allow this to pass
through.

By the way . . . as a data point for everyone else out there,  I have the
yellow TR6 plastic fan installed on my TR4.  I did have to enlarge the center
hole a bit, and shimmied the radiator forward as much as possible for
clearance.
I admittedly have very little clearance between the fan and the radiator . . .
but Ive been driving it daily this way for about 6 months now.
It works GREAT.  You couldnt overheat that car by letting it sit and idle for
half an hour in 90+ degree weather. On the other hand,  under heavy braking,
Im still a little fearful of chopping a hole in my radiator.
I certainly wouldnt autocross it as it is now.

Okay. .lunch is over  .. I have to get back to work.

Cheers to ya.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday
Leesburg, VA