long shot

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: long shot
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 17:49:14 -0800
Hi Listers,
        I  know  this  is a  long shot,  but I have finished the
transmission transplant into Casper and it  all works...except the
speedometer!!!  I am using a Toyota 5 speed that is supposed to have
come from a 85 Celica.  For some reason the nylon output shaft gear
that should engage the worm gear on the transmission shaft does
not...engage  that is.  I have been through at least a dozen Toyota
transmissions and all the nylon gears seem  to be the same except for
one that is smaller in diameter, and one with more teeth.
        I am  thinking there  must  be a  nylon gear of greater
diameter that will engage the worm gear.  I know what I  have is
close, because I can spin the  transmission in gear with the starter
and feel the output shaft "kick", but not rotate. The  diameter of
the  nylon gear I have is 1.15 inches (best I  can  measure).
        I  am  hoping among  the collective wisdom of  the  list
that  someone  will have  some ideas on this...Toyota  has  been NO
help whatsoever...they only  list by part numbers and have no  clue
as  to size...go figure...

Thanks  in advance for any help

--
Bill  Pugh