TR4 questions from [68.0.175.129] at Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:34:33 -0600

To: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 questions from [68.0.175.129] at Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:34:33 -0600
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:37:38 -0700
For all you "EXPERTS" on TR4's, I need some answers.

I have found a car that is in need of dire attention and I am confused.
Admittedly, I am not nearly as familiar with TR4's as I am Spitfires, so
I need help.

THe car has a commission number of CT21476LO and engine number
CT21560E.  So it appears that the engine is very likely original.  It
appears by the commission number it is a '63 model, but there are
several things about the car that make me curious.

First, the seats are high back ones and the headrests fold forward so
that a tonneau cover can be installed.  The seats look like Late 60's
GT6 seats only with the folding tops.  That doesn't seem to me to be
something on an early 60's Triumph.

It is a solid axle car but has all the markings removed from the back
end, including the bumpers.

The entire front clip is missing except for the inner fenders.

The engine has ZS carbs.  I thought early TR4's all had SU's.

It does have overdrive and the interior although showing a lot of wear
and tear is mostly complete.

Someone mounted a roll bar which probably should be removed.

The body (what is left) is mostly sound but there is a lot of rust on
the left rocker panel,  The right side is sound.

>From the sketchy description, is the car worth restoring or should it be
a parts car.  Some of the parts might be valuable in someone else's
resto.

What is it worth considering the unknown condition of the engine and OD
gearbox?

All comments are welcome.

Regards,
Joe