RE: What SU's are these?

To: <KEschhofen@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What SU's are these?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 13:04:51 -0800
> I received a pair of SU's with a TR250 I acquired. The carb
> bodies have the
> following casting numbers: AUC1346 and the other AUC8490. Carbs
> appear to the
> same and complementary (floats on the outside). The AUC1346 has a vaccum
> hookup on the top of the body. Teh other is mssing this vaccum hookup. The
> float tags are stamped with AUD209 (of course F&R).

According to my book, AUD209 are Triumph TR4A carbs.  Of course, someone may
have switched the tags.

> When mounted on the intake the floats appear to be at an angle
> tilted toward
> the engine. How can I compensate for this?

There is an insert where the float bowls mount to the body, that sets the
angle of the bowl.  The inserts are available separately, but unfortunately
I have no idea which ones you need.  It might be possible to make your own
insert.

> Also does any one know why one has a vaccum hookup and the other does not?

That would be the ported vacuum for the vacuum advance.  One advance capsule
== one port.

> I was wondering whether to use these or go back to Strombergs? I
> understand
> the HS6 is the preferred Carb. What performance can be expected
> out of these.

The problem is that you most likely do not have the optimum needles and
springs for your TR250.  Unless you're willing to spend a fair amount of
time, energy and money finding the right combination (or can find someone
that has already done it and is willing to share); you'll probably be
happier with original ZS carbs.

> To use these carb I will have to resolve the thottle linkage to the 250
> setup.

Another reason to stay stock ...

Randall