Re: trailing arm bushings

To: jack williams <jackandangie@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: trailing arm bushings
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 13:29:33 -0500
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jack:

The best way to get these in is to "draw" them in.  To do this, you
will need some piping that has an inner diameter that is slightly larger
than the opening that your bushings go into on the trailing arms (you
can use pluming pipe or as I did, PVC).  You then need a threaded
rod that will fit through the center of the bush (1/4" is what I believe
I used), a large washer that will fit over the hole of the pipe and
several washers that will fit on the end of the bushing, but does not
extend over the end of the bushing (this is more critical when you
use this technique when removing bushings, but you'll be ready).

Basically, what you will do is get the bushing started into the opening,
then run the the threaded rod through the bushing.  Place the pipe in
the opposite end that you are starting the bushing and place the large
washer on the end of the pipe.  Run the threaded rod through the
large washer and secure with two nuts, tightening them so they act
as a jam nut would.  Then place two or three washers on the end
of the threaded rod so that they rest on the end of the bushing and
then screw down a nut to the washers.  Now, tighten down the nut so
that the washers force the bushing into the trailing arm.  Be sure
that the bushing goes in straight. If need be, you may need to hold
the end nuts on the opposite side with a spanner or vice grips.  This
then draws the bushing into the trailing arm. As you get to the end,
you can remove the set up to see how close the bushing is coming out
on the opposite end, into the pipe, so that you can have equal
spacing on each end. Greasing the bushings and the inside of the
trailing arm helps.

Hope this helps.  If you have any questions, let me know.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6
'59 TR3