Re: trailing arm bushings

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: trailing arm bushings
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 17:44:00 -0000
Jack
I found the best way with these is to remove the arm from the car, apply
some of the recommended lubricant, (the ones I use recommend Graphite
grease) then with the trailing arm hole inclined about 10 degrees uphill
(from the horizontal) against one jaw of a vice and the bush inclined about
the same against the other jaw apply slight tension then bring the arm round
so the hole is now horizontal then using a radiused tool (like the handle
end of a spoon) tease the top of the bush into the hole, once it is started
all the way round just keep winding the vice until it is all the way in, a
piece of tube an inch or so long sized to clear the o/d of the lip on the
bush will allow you to press it all the way through, once it is in situe
grease and fit the stainless steel tube, I found the first one was the
worst, especially after struggling under the car. Removing the arm may seem
like the hard way but I found it to be the easy way in the end. the first
bush took about a quarter (or more) of an hour until I found the trick of
tilting it, chased the bush around the garage a few times as they seem to
have a predisposition to resist fitting under any circumstances, each
subsequent bush took no more than a few minutes. The trailing arms are heavy
especially with the hub and shaft in so get some help to drive the vice and
the bush whilst you support the arm and direct operations!

Well worth the effort to fit the poly bushings, really tightens up the car.

Graham.