Re: TR3 Rack & Pinion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Rack & Pinion
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:42:09 +0200
Bill Brewer wrote :

>      This winter's project is to replace my worn out cam & peg with a
>      rack &
> pinion conversion. I am looking at Revington TR's conversion and
> British Auto Restoration (Ted Smith's) conversion.
>      Revington brags about changing the Ackerman angle. Can someone
>      tell me if
> this is cool in a TR3? Ted Smith says his conversion leaves the
> geometry the same. Good or not?
>      Ted is good about answering emails. Revington TR hasn't answered
>      my
> questions yet, which concerns me...
>      Can someone who has installed either conversion tell me what they
>      think? I plan to order the conversion in the next few weeks. TIA,

Bill ,
Ted Smith's conversion appears to be very similar  or identical to the Protek
set-up which I fitted to
my 3A  about three years ago .It was very easy to bolt in and the result is
excellent , the steering
has virtually no slop at all and is much lighter particularly at low speed and
when parking .
The Revington kit uses welded brackets , which are possibly stronger than the
bolt-in ones , and is
said to be good , though I have no personal experience on this one .
In both cases the turn signal and horn switching must be modified and the
original cooling fan
cannot be retained .
Ackerman(n) ..........wasn't he the guy who could never drive in a straight
line ? <g>
Cheers
Mike