Sluggish Performance on the '71 GT6

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sluggish Performance on the '71 GT6
From: "Roger Langley" <galahad@uslink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:50:51 -0500
First, I can definitely rule out the brakes dragging and wheel bearings need
grease.  As suggested, the car rolls easily on a flat surface.  Car starts
well, idles around 800 to 900rpm, and does not overheat. I set the timing at
the plate spec of 4 degrees after.  It was way off and runs a lot better
now.  However, I had a great deal of trouble setting the timing exactly as
the most minute movement of the distributor cause the mark to move a lot.
The car blows grey smoke from exhaust which smells gasoline.

Question # 1:  What is the tolerance on the timing?

Question # 2:  I timed it using the number one plug; that is, the plug
nearest the front bumper.  Is this correct?

Question #3:  I have to feather the clutch a lot to take off from a stop.
Engine "rattles" and bogs down until I get going.  Choke position does not
seem to matter.  Vacuum advance hose is hooked up.  Any suggestions on what
to adjust next or what to look for?

Roger

Saint Paul