RE: Herald clutch slave cylinder

To: <etiesele@metrolist.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Herald clutch slave cylinder
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:42:27 -0700
> >I need to replace the slave cylinder on my '66 Herald, and I
> kind of need to
> >get it ASAP.  I have called around to all the parts houses and
> no one shows
> >a listing!  Is this the same slave cylinder that was used on the 62-80
> >Spitfire?  I was thinking that I could just order it from VB
> ltd. if it was.
> >Here are some numbers from the original:
> >    BS 64673904 02
> >On the other side I have:
> >    GIRLING 7/8 (I assume this means a 7/8" bore)
> >and stamped near the bleeder valve looks like:
> >    04DU
>
> Ed, I don't have my various references at hand, but basically the
> Herald should parallel the Spitfire in this area. If your Herald
> has the earlier coil spring clutch, it would use the slave
> cylinder listed for the early Spitfire (up through '64). If it
> uses a diaphragm clutch, it would use the later slave cylinder
> listed for Spitfires '65-on.

A quick peek at Rimmer's website confirms what Andy says.  7/8" would appear
to be the later slave cylinder, which is available from SpitBits or TRF
(probably others) in the US.

Rimmer's lists P/N GSY103, which TRF has cross-referenced to GI3010166W.

FWIW, repair kits are available, and are much cheaper.

Randall