Re: TR3 Electric Fuel Pump

To: Bill Brewer <bbrewer@qnet.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Electric Fuel Pump
From: Bill McLeod <wbmcleod@theriver.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 07:27:03 -0700
Electric fuel pumps are all designed to push, not pull, the fuel.
 Therefore they have to be mounted as low as possible, so they have
gravity feed.  The second reason for a lower mounting point (like down
on the frame under the floor pan) is that some fuel systems have very
small pin-hole and smaller leaks, which are small enough that they will
not leak a fluid, such as gasoline, but will leak air.  In such a case,
a higher mounted pump will suck air through the leak point in preference
to or in addition to the gasoline.  Such a leak, which does not show a
fluid dripping, can drive you batty!  In any case, for all reasons, you
are far better off with your pump mounted at the lowest point you can find.