RE: Interesting item on eBay web site item#1859786978: Triumph TR3 A-

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Interesting item on eBay web site item#1859786978: Triumph TR3 A-Type Overdrive Transmission
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:29:16 -0700
> At 10:00 AM -0700 9/16/02, bbrewer@qnet.com wrote:
> >      Another TR3 A-type overdrive transmission is for sale on Ebay.
> >This makes two for sale at the same time.
> >

> OK, listers, let us assume I win this item...what ELSE would I need
> to install it in Casper (1957 TR3 w/TR4 transmission).
> Thanks much guys we rely greatly on your wisdom

Bill, first I want to point out that the one on eBay is the early 3-synchro
box, you'll lose synchromesh on 1st gear.

Do you have the later starter on your car ?  It won't work with the early
gearbox, you'll have to either convert back to the early starter (which
includes changing the flywheel), or cut a hole in the bellhousing on your
'new' gearbox.  (I'm not certain, but converting to a 'gear drive' starter
may also be an option, not requiring the change of flywheel.)  Oh, and the
early starter won't fit with some tubular headers.

Otherwise, you shouldn't need much :
. Switch for dash
. Relay
. wiring (which you can easily make up yourself)
. bullet connectors for switch and solenoid
. long speedo cable
. clip to locate speedo cable to 'shelf' in front of battery box
. Not a necessity, but I'd want to change the throw-out bearing and clutch
plate.
. I don't recall offhand when the clutch operating shaft changed, but if the
one on your car is the later type, you'll probably want to install the
earlier type.
. Depending on exactly which transmission you have now, you may need to
change the studs and/or bolts between the gearbox and engine.  I would
replace the nyloc nuts anyway.

All the above should be readily available from TRF, Moss, et al.

Randall