Still chasing an evil stink

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Still chasing an evil stink
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:34:08 -0400
Hello all:

I am still trying to eliminate the strong fuel smell from my TR6. Starting
the car up brings the fuel smell on immediately. Of course it's better with
the choke off. The engine is recently rebuilt (OK not recently, I did the
rebuild in 92 but didn't fire the engine until 98 and since then have only
2500 miles on it.) After adjusting the mixture I now idle a little rough,
but after a couple of months of some daily use I see no black or fuel at all
on the rear valence. Before the car was sooting up due to over rich mixture.
However the smell is still there.

Here is my fear. I took some advise and did no super special no-lead stuff
on the head. I used lead additive a few times to build up a layer and was
told that using it once or twice in a year would definitely keep valve
precession away. Now as far as I know if I had unburnt fuel going down the
exhaust, I should have a lot of backfiring. I don't. Some popping when
deccelerating hard and a too rough run when moving along a smooth road below
20 mph, but no backfiring at all. The engine pulls very strongly as well.

Does anybody think that I have some sort of poorly seating valve that is
causing my engine to act as a big gas "mister", hence the smell?

Thinking about it, I am not sure that the evaporator line from the gas tank
neck is connected. It's certainly not present at the canister as the pipe
was melted (long story) I think I may have ommitted to seal the little
outlet on the filler neck, however I wouldn't think that little line could
make this strong fuel smell.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6