Re: Ace Leyland Quality Control

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ace Leyland Quality Control
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:20:19 +0100
Scott A. Roberts wrote:
 did they keep them for examples of what could go wrong, or like GM in
the US, did they just forklift them off the line, and drop them in the
very large dumpster?(YES- They actually do that!).  When I worked for
GM, I saw them literally lift almost complete
cars, and then crush in the roofs with the forks, and then drop them
into oversize dumpsters! All because of some minor problem. Cheaper I
guess.

That's exactly what happened in most cases. It's what still happens
with many Engineering evaluation vehicles today. A vehicle is put down
the line and then fitted with certain equipment for test purposes that
may not make it road legal if later sold on after the test is
concluded. Today, I believe they go in the big crusher and come out a
few moments later  as a nice compressed box shape of steel and
straight off to the smelter.

Jonmac