Re: Ace Leyland Quality Control

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ace Leyland Quality Control
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 23:46:12 -0400
Spitfire had been delivered with wire wheels on the front,
> disc wheels on the back and one of each as a spare in the boot.
> Consider the LH steer Herald with a RH pedal layout and the
> Toledo with two doors on one side and one on the other? And the cars
> that came out of the paintshop looking like rainbows when the colour
> valves on the paint line failed - red at the front, orange in the
> middle and yellow at the back?

Sounds like they had quite the managerie of vehicles coming off the line at
times. Sort of like the "Island of Broken Toys"... Perhaps they needed to
start a Triumph Zoo for strange and unusual vehicles...  I think I might
have been scared to see some of these cars- did they keep them for examples
of what could go wrong, or like GM in the US, did they just forklift them
off the line, and drop them in the very large dumpster?(YES- They actually
do that! When I worked for GM, I saw them literally lift almost complete
cars, and then crush in the roofs with the forks, and then drop them into
oversize dumpsters! All because of some minor problem. Cheaper I guess.)

Scott